– A video overview of the TV sources
– A word about the movie ‘The Dish’.
The TV Camera used
– The Westinghouse TV camera
Planning for the telecast and the Australian role
– NASA Senior Management
Scan converters and links
– plans for a direct feed to Australian TV
– plans for a backup recorder at Parkes
TV from the Moon
– summary of how it all happened
– Parkes and Honeysuckle
– Timeline (PDF) of Apollo 11 TV key events.
– Tilt-corrected TV. updated
– Scan converted TV as seen at Goldstone
– dishes used
– why was the TV picture degraded?
– Prime Minister Gorton’s visit
– what it was like at Honeysuckle
– video links via Willamsdale, to Sydney
– still photos taken at Honeysuckle
– Super 8 film shot at Honeysuckle
– Net 2 / HSK audio as TV comes on
– elevation constraints
– video links via Mt Coonambro to Sydney
– wind storm
– preparing Sydney Video – interview with Dick Nafzger
– incoming circuits
– equipment, photos
– what it was like at Sydney Video
– outgoing circuits
– arrangements for the Press
– OTC press releases.
– The first 5 minutes of HSK TV as recorded at Sydney.
How the TV was broadcast to the world
– Houston TV and onwards
– Europe and UK coming soon
– inside the Iron Curtain new
– Australian TV – Eastern states
– Australian TV – Carnarvon and Perth
– New Zealand delayed broadcast
Memories of watching the Moonwalk
– Boniecki audio tapes
Various video recordings
– HSK, Sydney Video, Australian broadcast,
Houston, Super 8, Quad, Kine
– Comparisons of the video sources
Others who saw the Slow Scan TV from the Moon
– DSS42 Tidbinbilla
– Carnarvon MSFN
– DSS41 Island Lagoon
– Guam MSFN.
An Emmy for the TV
A Penguin for the TV!
The Search for the Telemetry Tapes
The Tape Search (needs updating)
The Restored TV Broadcast (need to add this, but you can get a DVD here.)
Busting myths about the Apollo 11 TV
- Why the picture was ‘ghostly’.
(Quick answer: an artefact of the scan conversion on Earth, at Goldstone, Honeysuckle Creek and Sydney.)
- Is it true the US networks were refused a clean feed and had to point their cameras at the big screen in Mission Control?
(Quick answer: No. They were given a clean feed.)
- Was there really a 6 second delay in the picture in case of a disaster?
(Quick answer: No, it was all live.)
More to come!
Neat things you might not have noticed
– Buzz Aldrin’s face visible