Parkes


 

The Parkes Radio Telescope is probably the best-known astronomical observatory in Australia.

Construction of the giant 210 foot (64 metre) parabolic dish for the CSIRO was begun in 1959 and it was completed and commissioned in 1961.

The design was adapted for the Deep Space Network’s 64 metre antennas at Goldstone and Tidbinbilla (which were later enlarged to 70m) and the 70m at Madrid. The telescope uses an altazimuth mount, but uses a small master equatorial mount to which the alt-az structure is slaved – hence the dish can be driven as if it were on an equatorial mount.

(more to add here)

 

 

The Opening Ceremony.

Parkes Commissioning

The souvenir card from the Commissioning ceremony at Parkes, October 31, 1961.

Scans courtesy of Dan Flett, whose grandfather, Leonard G. H. Huxley, was a physicist with the CSIRO (and also 1960-1967 he was Vice-Chancellor of the Australian National University in Canberra, 1960-1967).

Large, Larger.


Parkes Commissioning

The inside pages of the card.

Large, Larger.