The staff of the Deep Space Station,
DSS-41, Island Lagoon, in late 1971.
DSS 41 Island Lagoon Staff Complement
in late 1971 was about 96. Most of these (69 in total), which includes
two Operations Teams, are in the photo. The names and their positions
as far as I can recall are
1. ? ; 2. ? ; 3. Clarrie Harridge, Receiver Engineer;
4. Mark Foster?; 5. ? ; 6. Mike Quinlan, Data Handling
Senior Engineer; 7. Gordon Horne; RF Technician;
8. Jim Balshaw, Antenna/Servo Technician; 9. Gordon Dowse;
10. Bob Roesler, Data Handling Technician; 11. Mike Somerville,
Receiver Technician; 12. Tony Bell ; 13. Bob Green, Comms
Supervisor; 14. Zoltan Beldi, ? ; 15. Peter Pistoor, Receiver
Technician; 16. Ian Warren, Comms Operator; 17. Jim Hoyland,
Data Handling Technician; 18. Ken Wood, Data Handling Technician;
19. Les Acton, Data Handling Technician; 20. Terry Davies, Receiver
Technician; 21. Andrew Jary;
22. Bill Day, Admin Clerk; 23. Tony Price, Data Handling Technician;
24. Dave Hollingsworth, Operations Supervisor; 25. ? ;
26. ? ; 27. ? ; 28. Reg Wooster, Facilities Technician;
29. Geoff Smith, Receiver Technician; 30. ? ; 31.? ;
32. Hadyn Sly, QA Technician; 33. Ron Spain, Admin Clerk; 34.
? ; 35. Trevor Harding, Finances Clerk; 36. ?; 37.
?; 38. Harry Frodsham, Senior Tech Data Handling; 39. John Levay, Receiver Technician; 40.
Max Jauczius. Antenna/servo tech.; 41. ? ; 42. John Wickens, Data Handling Technician;
43. John McGrath, Antenna/Servo Technician; 44. ? ; 45. Ray Smith. Senior tech Antenna/servo;
46. Roy Livermore, Data Handling Technician (or could it be Bernie Palmer. Receiver tech.??); 47. ? ;
48. ? ; 49. Barry Avis. Data Handling tech.;
50. Bill Fussell, Facilities Supervisor; 51. ?; 52. ?;
53. Commonwealth bus driver?; 54. ?; 55. Margaret Hardy, CSR
Secretary; 56. ?; 57. ?; 58. ?; 59.
Val Airey, Data Handling Operator; 60. John Heath, Company Senior
Representative; 61. Don Cocks, Station Director; 62. Len
Algate, Chief Electronics Engineer; 63, Bob Cotton, Administrative
Officer; 64. Doug Cribb, Support Services Manager; 65.
?; 66. ? ; 67. ? ; 68. Mrs Williams, Documentation;
69. ? ;
Staff Not Present in photo are:
Two other Operations Team, each of twelve staff, who were either rostered
off or were sleeping after doing a night shift. The only names I can
put to these are:
70. Alec Smith, Senior Operations Supervisor; 71. Algy Ellicot;
Operations Supervisor; 72. Dick Davey, Comms Technician;
73. - Mrs ‘Deeno’ Porter, Comms Operator; 74. Joe Filmore, Data
and two other Engineers:
75. Gordon Cardwell, Microwave Engineer; 76. Dave Leslie,
RF Senior Engineer.
Keith Aldworth adds
9.Gordon Dowse... ... I think number 24 is John Flaxman.
I remember Dave Hollingworth as much taller.
Stew Burton adds
On that day I was heading down the Port
road with my family returning to Canberra so was not included, along
with many others who were also returning or had left a bit earlier
or were off shift at the time as John Heath has suggested.
Others not in the picture and were contemporaries
at DSS 41: Some may be hiding in picture, with youthful faces long
gone – Don Lippett, Frank Adcock, Mike Mezzio, Daryl Pentland, Peter ODonahue,
Frank Frodsham, Harry Frodsham, Jack Prider, Peter Gracie, Frank
Adcock, John Murray.
I make 4 Mark Foster?
9 is certainly Gordon Dowse
19 is Les Acton
21 looks like Andrew Jary
24 I claim is Dave Hollingsworth
53 Commonwealth bus driver?
68 Mrs Williams from documentation.
I hope this stirs a few memories and fills
some gaps. Regards to all. Stew Burton.